Volunteer Registration is Now Available
Paper applications are now available at the Chamber of Commerce or download one here.
We look forward to you volunteering with us at the 2017 Nebraska State Fair!
The volunteer website will be available on Monday, May 8, 2017! Please check back to register online.
Highlights from the 2016 Nebraska State Fair
2016 Nebraska State Fair Hay Bale Decorating Contest
The Grand Island Chamber of Commerce Hay Bale Decorating Contest helped stir up excitement for the 2016 Nebraska State Fair.
This is the sixth year that the Hay Bale Decorating Contest has welcomed fair guests to the community. The decorated bales have become a Grand Island tradition.
Hay bales were donated by Roger Luebbe and delivered by Chief Carriers and Kramer’s.
Participating businesses and organizations bale designs were judged on visual appeal, construction, use of materials, and creativity. There was also a People’s Choice vote available on the Nebraska State Fair Facebook page.
There are 25 bales decorated around the community and five hay bales that will be decorated on the fairgrounds. The community locations are:
- Grand Island Boys Town, 3230 W. Wildwood Drive
- Green Line Equipment, 4050 W. Stolley Park Road
- CNH Industrial, 3445 W. Stolley Park Road
- Home Federal Bank, 3311 W. Stolley Park Road
- Bosselman Enterprises, 3123 W. Stolley Park Road, Suite A
- McDermott & Miller PC, 2722 S. Locust Street
- Goodwill, 1808 S. Locust Street
- Garrett Tires & Treads, 1140 S. Locust Street
- The Grand Island Independent, 2nd & Walnut Streets
- Grand Island Area Clean Community Systems, 3661 Sky Park Road 2B
- Primrose Retirement Community, 3990 W. Capital Avenue
- HELIX Financial, 3721 W. 13th Street, Suite D
- Grand Island Physical Therapy, 620 N. Diers Avenue, Suite 300
- Pediatric Dental Specialists, 425 N. Diers Avenue
- Hy-Vee, 115 Wilmar Avenue (on corner of Webb and Potash)
- Hy-Vee C-Store, 115 Wilmar Avenue (in between store and Hwy 281)
- Viaero Wireless, 305 Wilmar Avenue
- Abundant Life Church, Hwy 281 & Faidley
- Great Western Bank, 700 N. Webb Road
- Solid Rock Baptist Church, 3221 W. 13th Street
- Conestoga Mall, 13th Street & Webb Road
- Rejuvenation Salon, Big Red Treats & South Beach Tanning, 2112 Lawrence Lane
- First Christian Church, 14th Street & Custer Avenue
- Real Estate Group of Grand Island, 1824 W. 2nd Street
- JOBXSITE, 2nd & Logan Streets
- United Veterans Club, Fairgrounds
- Integrated Life Choices, Fairgrounds
- Mid Nebraska Individual Services, Fairgrounds
- Mid-Plains Center for Behavioral Health, Fairgrounds
- Farm Credit Services of America, Fairgrounds
State Fair themed hay bales decorating Grand Island (Grand Island Independent – August 17, 2016)
With the Nebraska State Fair eight days away, Grand Island is gearing up for the 11-day event, which drew more than 350,000 people last year. That includes the 2016 State Fair Hay Bale Decorating Contest, which is going on now. Read More
First citywide cleanup since 2010 underway (Grand Island Independent – August 16, 2016)
On Wednesday, more than 40 JBS employees will pick up trash along all three miles of Stuhr Road.
On Tuesday, Rotary Club members removed litter from a one-mile stretch of Highway 281.
Both efforts are part of Grand Island’s citywide cleanup, a 10-day effort that will wrap up Sunday. Close to 600 people are taking part in the project, said Denise McGovern-Gallagher, executive director of the Grand Island Area Clean Community System. Read more
Volunteers Needed for the Nebraska State Fair (NTV, August 15, 2016) View
State Fair Volunteers Learn About New Training, Procedures (NTV, August 7, 2016) View
Volunteers big part of State Fair’s success (Grand Island Independent – July 24, 2016)
As the Nebraska State Fair is one of the few state fairs that rely a great deal on a volunteer workforce, it should come as no surprise that hundreds of volunteers are needed to make the event successful. Read more
State Fair still has volunteer positions open (Grand Island Independent – July 3, 2016)
Plenty of opportunities remain to volunteer at this year’s Nebraska State Fair, according to the Grand Island Area Chamber of Commerce. Read more