- Plan work from drawings or specifications or use their knowledge of fluxes and base metals to analyze the parts to be joined.
- Select and set up welding equipment, execute the planned welds, and examine welds to ensure that they meet standards or specifications.
- Examine weld during the welding process, observe problems with the weld and adjust the speed, voltage, amperage, or feed of the wire or rod.
- Operate and monitor cutting machines similar to those used by welding machine operators.
- Wear safety shoes, goggles, hoods with protective lenses, and other devices designed to prevent burns and eye injuries and to protect them from falling objects.
- Lift heavy objects and work in a variety of awkward positions, while bending, stooping, or standing to perform work overhead.
- Descale flex cord welds with needle gun.
- Other duties as assigned.